Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A little about me

As my profile states I have a background in multi-family construction.  The construction industry is very tough right now in NC as well as other areas.

I have decided to follow my passion and that is handguns.  I grew up around guns and shot fairly often as a teen.  I spent a lot of time in the woods hunting.  I have always owned at least one gun since age 18.  Several years ago I came across a Kimber Custom Classic so I picked it up.  I held on to it for a year or so and sold it.  I soon realized how much I loved the 1911 platform.  A couple years ago I picked up a Springfield Armory Loaded and started shooting it.  I was in heaven.  I soon picked up another 1911 and it was on.  I decided to get a basic 1911 and learn how to customize it.  I did massive research online from publications to gun forums.  I know what you’re thinking.  How can you trust anyone on a forum.  Believe me if you spend enough time on a forum you learn who knows what they are talking about.  I gleaned a ton of information from some of the best pistol smiths in the country.  These guys want to share their knowledge.

I got a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec and went to town.  As I said I did a lot of research on what I wanted.  I have replaced all factory parts with high end parts (Wilson, Ed Brown, S&A, etc).  I tightened the slide to frame fit.  I also had the slide machined for a Bomar style rear sight and a dovetail front sight (I did not do this due to not having a mill…yet).  I have eased all the edges on the frame and slide.  I still need to have it refinished but am waiting until I checker the front strap.  This gun is 100% reliable and accurate.  The shop that did my mill work is the best pistol smith around and he looked over my work and said he was impressed.

I wish I had taken pictures of this project but I didn’t.  I definitely will on the next.  My goal is to offer custom work for the 1911 platform as well as build custom 1911’s

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment